Welcome to the Southeast Asia Railways Newsletter. I was in Sumatra at the start of the month where I rode the main lines of the North Sumatra Railways. I will have a guide for that railway at Nomadic Notes.
The Jakarta-Bandung high-speed railway didn’t open as planned, so I will include that on my next visit to Indonesia.
Here are the main news stories of the month for railways in Southeast Asia.
There are new airports being built for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, and they are both a long distance from the city centre. Light railways have been proposed for both airports.
• Siem Reap to build light rail line from Siem Reap-Angkor International Airport to Siem Reap city
• Construction of new lightweight railway in Kandal discussed
“Kandal provincial administration and a Chinese firm have discussed the construction project of a new lightweight railway connecting the Techo International Airport in Kandal province with Phnom Penh capital.”
The high-speed railway project has been delayed again. It now looks like test runs in September and opening in October.
• Jokowi to board the Jakarta-Bandung high-speed train in a trial in September
• With Indonesia’s high-speed rail set to launch in September, authorities look to Surabaya for phase two
• Laos-China Railway to increase ticket prices by 20 percent this year
• What it’s like to travel the first rail route through Laos
• KL-SG HSR Project: Malaysia to submit new proposal once initial decision is made, says Anwar
• ECRL construction nears halfway mark, 25 tunnel breakthroughs achieved
• Malaysia working on plans to build Sabah, Sarawak rail link to Indonesia's new capital
• Malaysia's iconic 'Jungle Railway': One of Southeast Asia's greatest train journeys
• Turn KTM route into non-stop shuttle service to reduce congestion’
The Johor Baru-Woodlands cross-border shuttle runs infrequently, and the peak-hour tickets sell out a month in advance. This is the easiest win to immediately reduce overcrowding at the border crossing.
• 8-hour train journey from S’pore to KL costs S$15, admire scenery on the go
• Northeast to have first international cross-border railway connectivity from India to Bhutan and Myanmar
• The majesty of crossing Myanmar on colonial-era trains
• Albay-CamSur train trips resume after 6 years
• S’pore-KL high-speed rail: No new proposal from Malaysia yet, says Chee Hong Tat
• Bangkok-Nong Khai high-speed train expected to enter service in 2027
• More double-track railways to open this year
• Northeast line upgrades to finish in 2024
• CP-led consortium needs BOI certification before work on railway linking 3 airports can kick off
• Pov: you take an overnight 3rd class train ticket in Thailand
• Da Lat- Thap Cham railway’s restoration to be completed by 2030
• Railway proposed to link Vung Ang to Laos
• Hanoi wants tourists to stop visiting one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions
• Vignette: On the North-South train, a pastiche of the human condition